Did you know that every year the Hispanic population in the U.S. grows by about one million people? Que? Si!
The Hispanic American market is growing… and growing fast! You’ve likely heard the numbers: a 163% increase in population between 2010 and 2050, making up 30% of the population by July 1, 2050. And that means a trillion dollars in buying power in 2010, is predicted to rise to $1.5 trillion next year (an increase of 50% in just five years). U.S. Hispanics are a consumer segment that’s on the radar of every Fortune 500 CMO and more than likely should be on your radar too!
U.S. Hispanics are a hugely underserved market, but what’s greatly overlooked is that they lead in adoption of new technologies, devices, and are power users when it comes to video consumption and digital media. In recent surveys, marketers saw an 11-25% of their company’s growth come from the U.S. Hispanic audience. Still, most brands don’t have a marketing strategy in place for this audience.
So how are Hispanics connecting?
Bottom line: Video and Mobile. The average Hispanic spends more than eight hours watching online video each month. Over 90 minutes longer than the U.S. average, according to a Nielsen report. A lot of that video watching happens on mobile, as smartphones are becoming the “first screen” with an average of about 6 hours per month. With this in mind, it’s not surprising that they’re heavy consumers of mobile apps as well.
Here are 8 Things you need to know:
- During 2015, 7 out of 10 U.S. Hispanics queries happened on mobile devices.
- Digital Hispanics express a high level of comfort with English websites, even when searching in Spanish, but prefer Spanish sites.
- 2/3 of digital Hispanics who search online use Spanish to look for information, but at times, search phonetically (i.e. ifon for iphone.)
- Culture improves brand opinion and grasps attention:
– 88% of digital Hispanics pay attention to online ads that include aspects of their Hispanic culture, regardless of language.
– 41% of digital Hispanics feel more favorably about brands that include aspects of Hispanic culture in their advertising.
- The inclusion of culturally relevant content makes a brand’s website and advertising more appealing.
- 80% of Hispanics visit YouTube on a monthly basis.
- 74% of Hispanics watch videos on YouTube on their smartphone.
- 63% of U.S. Hispanics who visit YouTube use a Spanish word or phrasing at least half of the time to search for video content.
Language isn’t enough, though. We need to speak their culture and be culturally relevant. When promoting on Spanish media, we need to show appropriate music, talent, food, etc. or anything that can go beyond translation.
Large corporations such as McDonald’s, Target, Chevron and many others, are targeting digital Hispanics not only in culturally relevant ways but also by incorporating a blend of cross-cultural messages in both English and Spanish to engage with U.S. Hispanics in all demographics.
Click here to take a quick peek at some of our Hispanic advertising.
If you would like to discuss how to increase YOUR Hispanic marketing strategies, shoot us a message today and let’s talk more about how to achieve your goals! CONTACT US TODAY!
ABOUT AM STRATEGIES: Advanced Marketing Strategies is proud to have provided twenty-five years of strategy based, result oriented marketing solutions that have increasing traffic, sales, and profits for large consumer clients. Over the years we have developed Spanish campaigns for IKEA, Mossy Automotive, Soboba Casino, Quechan Casino Resort, Multicultural Independent Physicians’ Association, and others. Incorporated in 1991, we use in-depth research to develop strategy-based branding and marketing.