skip to Main Content
EP.23 Show Runner – Lisa Copeland

EP.23 Show Runner – Lisa Copeland

•Rising Above the Status Quo and Crushing Mediocracy•

Get ready to be inspired by this badass!

Lisa Copeland is a Keynote Speaker, Author, Podcast Host, Award Winning Sales Expert, and Former Automotive Dealer Principal.

OMG! Lisa share her inspirational message – the 10 pillars of business and life, including how to be unapologetically fierce 365! Lisa’s personal story builds on over 25 years of proven success and the wisdom she has gained as a dedicated pioneer in the field of automotive sales and brand strategy. Lisa is also a founding member of Women in Automotive.

In her latest book “The Art of the Big Sell” Lisa teaches us how to sell a movement rather than a product. In Crushing Mediocrity Lisa writes about her experience rising above the status quo and crushing the standard of mediocrity in a male-dominated industry. Lisa’s been named one of the Top 100 Women in the Automotive Industry and has won the Walter P. Chrysler Award for Sales and Service Excellence Her success story has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, Marie Claire, and Bloomberg.

Lisa Copeland Performance Agency LLC/Cars Her Way

Lessons you will learn from this podcast:

  • How to crush your approval addiction
  • The 10 business Pillars according to “Thelma and Louise”
  • How to go from idea to impact and focus your message & methodology on your tribe
  • How to galvanize your best customers and encourage brand ambassadors
  • Break sales records by selling a movement rather than selling a product
  • If you stand for something people will listen
  • How to own the position you are in today and live it with purpose & intention
  • Why exiting your comfort zone every day is vital
  • How to choose to be fearless, because the danger is real, but fear is a choice
TRANSCRIPTS

>> Kathy: [SOUND] Hi everybody, it’s Cathy. And today, we’re networking with Lisa [UNKNOWN], an international keynote speaker, best selling Author, podcast host, award winning sales expert, and former automotive dealer principal. With over 25 years of proven success, Lisa is a dedicated pioneer in the field of automotive sales and brand strategy. In her latest book, The Art of the big sale, Lisa teaches us how to sell a movement rather than a product. In crushing mediocrity, Lisa writes about her experience rising above the status quo, and crushing the standard of mediocrity in a male dominated industry. Lisa has been named one of the top 100 women in the automotive industry and has won the Walter P Chrysler award for sales and service excellence. Her success story has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Marie Claire and Bloomberg. Lisa is also a founding member of Women in Automotive. Lisa, welcome to The Show Runner Network.

>> Lisa: Hi, Kathy, thank you for inviting me.

>> Kathy: It’s so nice to have you. Your background is immense and I’m so excited to dig in to everything that you’re doing. So I shared a little bit with our audience about your background. Can you tell us a little bit more about your journey in marketing and business?

>> Lisa: Oh, well, you think [LAUGH] it’s been, it’s been quite interesting. But I started out selling and sales when I was 21 years old. I started selling cars, kind of by accident. I was a fashion major, wrecked my car and like any good fashion major had not paid my car insurance. So my dad said, kid, you need to figure it out. And so a sales career was born. And Kathy, where I think I learned my expertise in marketing was when I was involved with the relaunch of the Fiat brand back to the United States. Cuz that really made me dig deep on how do you relaunch your brand that left the first time as fix it again, Tony.

>> Kathy: Right, [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: And in the land of trucks and SUV’s. So, it’s been quite a ride, and then I sold my dealership in March of 2016. And I formed the Lisa Copeland performance agency, and why I like performance is because my agency, we teach companies to perform at a higher level. Either for working with data and marketing and things like that, or if we’re working for sales organization, I mean, we’re all about performance.

>> Kathy: Wow, performance, that’s a great keyword. Let’s talk a little bit about the most critical challenges you’re helping your clients navigate in 2019.

>> Lisa: Oh, that’s a great-

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: You have good questions. I would say the most critical challenge is that they’re stuck. And they’re mired in mediocrity. And in fact, I was just talking to a client earlier today and I’m coming into Atlanta to speak for them on the 19th. And they’ve got 14 dealerships and 1500 employees. So we where kind of going through what I was gonna talk about. They’re award winning, they’re fantastic, a great [INAUDIBLE] group, and he said, you’re stuck, there uninspired. And I said, I may be a motivational speaker but I can’t motivate the unmotivated. And I just find that in so many organizations, I think that they get stuck and I think that the people at the top can’t unstick them cuz I think their justice stuck, does that make sense?

>> Kathy: Yeah really it does, does it all go back to the leadership?

>> Lisa: I think that the leadership’s uninspired and it’s not that they’re bad leaders. But in our book question mediocrity, the first chapter in the big sell also the first chapter is talking about purpose. Do you believe that what you do matters? Because if you fundamentally do not believe that what you do matters when you wake up every single morning, you’re not gonna be as effective as a purpose driven leader. And I know it sounds cliche but it’s true. During my darkest days in the automotive industry, when it was really, really tough, the Fiat brand was under attack and Fiat brand is still under attack in the US. Anyways, every single morning it got me up because I knew that I did what I did was to revolutionized the auto industry for women, millennials and minorities. And that if I quit, cuz believe me Kathy, I wanted to quite many days and I had many offers to go the other way, I knew I would be letting down a lot of people. And more importantly in industry that I love so much. So that purpose is what pulls us through our darkest days, our toughest days and the days that we wanna quit. And so that’s what we really go into organizations and try to help them either from a macro or micro level determine, do you believe that what you do matters? And if you don’t, you need to do something different.

>> Kathy: Yeah, that’s a good place to start. Do you believe what you do matters? And in helping them to get unstuck and helping them to get re-inspired.

>> Lisa: Mm-hm. Yeah, but it’s only inside of them. And like I said, I would have ditched that deal way a long time ago on that Fiat brand. If I hadn’t gone all in on the belief that it was a small brand but we had a huge opportunity. And we had an opportunity to show an industry that we would do things differently, that we would hire women, that we would hire millennials, that we would open in an upscale shopping center [INAUDIBLE] In Texas. And, who followed us into that shopping center was the little brand called Tesla. And so, it’s funny I was just at a conference and there was a bunch of Tesla people there. I said, you can tell Elon he followed us.

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: Not the other way around. [LAUGH]

>> Kathy: I love that Lisa. [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: And I’m a huge Elon Musk fan. But, it was really about shaking it up, it was really about creating something that was different, that would inspire consumers to give us a chance again. To get them to root for us and by doing that I believe that we really built a movement within the automotive industry. And that’s really what inspired my second book, the art of the big sale from idea to impact.

>> Kathy: Yeah-

>> Lisa: And if you look at some of the greatest companies in the world, they’re all movement driven. Or you look at our last two presidential elections, whether you voted for the right or the left, it doesn’t matter. Obama started a movement with hope and Trump started a movement with make America great again. And so I’m a firm believer that so many times people did not vote for the man, they voted for the movement.

>> Kathy: That’s interesting. Because I know in your new book, you talk a lot about selling a movement rather than selling a product. So how do you introduce that into your training?

>> Lisa: Well, that starts with leadership. Kathy you’re a good interviewer, you’re like, oh, I’ve got to think about this for a second. That starts with the leadership, and that starts with me sitting down and saying, what is the one thing in your organization that you can galvanize both your internal and your external customers behind, right? What is it that’ll make the inside team root for you and customers root for you alike? For me and for my organization, it was the fact that customers are sick and tired of business as usual in the automotive industry. They were proud to be part of a movement and they truly rooted for us. And when my young team broke the world sales record for Fiat brand in 2012, we would not have done it without our customers coming. Bringing their friends, buying cars from around the country, even our competitors were helping us sell cars. And it wasn’t because I don’t believe they liked us with the product but they liked what we stood for. And if you stand for something big enough, people are going to buy what you’re selling. But the key Kathy behind a movement is to galvanize both internally and externally, both the team and the actual paying customer. Think about Whole Foods has done it, Google has done it, Tom Shoes has done it, right? It has to be something bigger than the product itself and so what it is it’s the big idea.

>> Kathy: Wow, that’s so inspirational. I love the whole philosophy of getting behind a movement that gets the internal and the external behind it.

>> Lisa: Yes, it’s critical. And if you look at some of the company, and one I like to use the best is Apple, right? I mean, you go into the Apple Store, those are the happiest employees I’ve ever seen in my life. They’re not trying to sell you anything but they absolutely 100% believe in what they’re selling and why they’re doing it. So therefore, they are more bringing you along for the journey than they are trying to hard sell you on a product. And if you walk out without buying anything, they’re okay with that too. But you look at market share for PC versus Apple, PC still has a dominant hold. And so I think the other part to the movement is that you’ve got to realize that not everybody is your customer. So when you start to get that laser focus on, these are my people, these are my tribe and laser focusing your message, your methodologies and everything to that and to those people, you do a lot of things. You reduce your advertising cost and you build a loyal tribe that stick with you forever. I mean, so many businesses want to be everything to everybody and that is a fatal mistake versus figuring out who it is, what do you stand for? What is the one thing, the movement that you can create, that will galvanize? And then spending all your time, energy, money and attention on those people because they’re all you need. Because they’re gonna help you build the movement, they’re gonna bring you more people, more referrals and they’re going to be loyal in good times and bad times.

>> Kathy: I think that’s such sound advice, especially for dealers. Figure out who your target consumer is, your best consumer, and carve them out, carve out your niche because so often we do. We want to sell to everybody. We think the entire state is our customer and it’s really not.

>> Lisa: It’s not and we spend so much time and energy trying to bring in people that really, well, I like to say that those are not my people. And so I like to, and we spend that versus cultivating and building this rabid fan of influencers that become brand ambassadors for you. And I think that was the magic for us is that we built brand ambassadors. And they were out there, and they were bringing their friends in. I had meetups, drives. I put them together. I didn’t expect the guy or gal driving a Ferrari to come to my store.

>> Kathy: Right.

>> Lisa: Although, I did have a few.

>>  [INAUDIBLE]

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: But I didn’t expect them to come buy a car. So who were my people? How was I gonna go out and build our tribe? Well, I had to look at other competitors that have the same type of tribal mentality. So AKA Mini Cooper. I mean, you know, people who drove Minis, PT cruisers, I mean, we just went and we looked and saw, and we just really identified who’s our customer. They were they were early adopters. They were the people that would stand in line at Apple all night long when that same iPad is going to be on the shelf in two days.

>> Kathy: Yeah, and I think another key thing there for us to remember is that once we figured out what our niche is, if we want to look at the competition, look at the competition within our niche. Because so often I think people say, well, look at what, the the shaving guy’s doing, I wanna be just like him. It’s like well, those aren’t your people like you say.

>> Lisa: Right, they aren’t your people.

>> Kathy: Yeah, so compare yourself to the right kind of competition as well.

>> Lisa: Yes, and I love what you said about people that are really in your. I mean I wasn’t out there trying to sell to people who drove F150 trucks. They’re not my people. I mean, they’re not going to buy a micro cars.

>> Kathy: Right.

>> Lisa: But the people, Mini Cooper was really my zero target. That was my focus. I mean, amazing brand. Amazing people, very loyal to the brand. It was amazing how we could bring them over because they’re also the type that they’re early adopters. And so a lot of times, it’s easy to push them to the next best thing. And so there was just a lot of strategy behind it. But I didn’t waste time, money, and resources on people that were a long shot. I’m not saying that we never sold anybody who had an F150 truck a Fiat but not very often.

>> Kathy: [LAUGH] The outliers yes, you don’t wanna base your marketing strategy on the outliers.

>> Lisa: And then we also did and I really believe this is part of a movement is we do a lot of collaborative and a lot of joint marketing. So, for example, the sup, S-U-P boards, they were the you stand up and you, paddle boards.

>> Kathy: Sure.

>> Lisa: The biggest paddle board company in the world sits right here in Austin, Texas. So I met with the owners. And I said, okay, my people, my tribe, they are lifestyle enthusiasts, they’re early adopters. I said they are your people. So we cut a deal that everyone who bought a car got a Sup ATX board, right? And they had like 100,000 or 300,000 followers at that time back on Facebook. So they were pushing out my cars. So, sometimes it just makes sense Cathy to let other people do the heavy lifting for you.

>> Kathy: Right.

>> Lisa: I mean, we had 3000 followers on Facebook, they had 300,000, or whatever the number was. It was six figures, that’s what I remember. And so their people joined our tribe. And then we introduce people in our tribe to their tribe. So there’s a lot of more, and you know this, but a lot of marketing magic just in collaboration.

>> Kathy: Yeah, that is that the collaboration. And that was a great idea too. We can’t do that here in California. We can’t give something away, contingent on the sale of a vehicle. But I wish we could because that’s a great idea.

>> Lisa: Oh, so that’s interesting.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: Now it’s not just for me I was actually paying for the boards, obviously.

>> Kathy: Right, yeah.

>> Lisa: Of course, but it was just it was just fun, you know?

>> Kathy: Yeah, awesome.

>> Lisa: Yeah.

>> Kathy: Well let’s talk a little bit about your other book Crushing Mediocrity because.

>> Lisa: Yeah.

>> Kathy: I’m so intrigued about this title and about how [LAUGH] how you and your co-author really talked about your own personal experience in crushing mediocracy, in a male dominated industry. So tell us about that.

>> Lisa: Right, right, well, it was pretty funny. So when I sold the dealership, there’s always wine behind a lot of mine and Renee’s stories. And we call each other Thelma and Louise like we go on tour sometimes, right? And so we’re sitting there drinking wine one night and I told her I was in the middle of my buy sell agreement. And I told her I said, okay, if something happens to me tomorrow, I want you to do my eulogy, cuz anybody else will screw it up. And she’s like, yeah, me too, and so we were kind of laughing about it, whatever. And I said, and Renee was just finishing. So she dropped out of college her senior year, because she was pregnant with her son, Jake. Which, I’m gonna give her a shout-out, she’s had her first grand-baby, Jake did, two days ago. Anyways, and so she was finishing up her journalism degree. And she only had one more semester. So she went to the Dean of Ohio University or Ohio State, [INAUDIBLE] and said, what if I write a book? Would that be enough to finish my degree? And the dean said yes. So we went to work and this book is a legacy book. This is the book that I want people, at our funerals we’re gonna pass it out. This is who we are and this is what we stand for. The art of the big sell, I mean that’s a business.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: I don’t believe much of my personal stuff, a little bit of my journey. But this is really the ten pillars of success that we believe are non-negotiables in life and in business.

>> Kathy: The ten pillars?

>> Lisa: Yes, yeah, ten chapters, ten pillars, yes. Yeah, I mean, and I can gotten here so I’ve got them in order. But I mean, these were things to us, so it was like the first thing was to identify your purpose. Second chapter was to exit your comfort zone. It’s like nothing great happens if you just stay in the middle which is mediocrity, right? Middle is always not a bad thing, people that are in the middle, the world’s full of them, they’re not bad people.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: They’re just not our thing.

>> Kathy: Got you.

>> Lisa: And the next one is own your choices, right? We all make good choices, good and bad, own them, quit running from them. I mean, you make a good choice, yippee, but you make a bad one, you need to own it, and we’ve all made bad choices.

>> Kathy: Right.

>> Lisa: Remaining teachable, it was just we live in a world where people like, oh, I already know everything, no, you don’t, and the day you quit being teachable is the day you’re done, in our personal opinion. To operate together, together we’re stronger than alone, to stand out but to stand out for good. So not to be haughty and to be out there look at me, no, it’s to stand out and excellence. Fear, re-purposing your fear, danger is real and fear is a choice. And we really work through that chapter on choose to not fear, choose you but you have to make that decision consciously. Recovering from failure, we’ve all done that a million times. Using your influence for good, and then becoming a change agent. I mean, so versus sitting on the bench and talking about, just like me and the auto industry, and Rene’s just as influential in the aviation industry. But versus sitting on the bench and complaining, we’re gonna use our influence and our success to help change the industry versus just gripe about it.

>> Kathy: I love that, and your ten pillars are so inspirational. And I’m gonna have to read this book because I need to know more about all of that. So talk to our listeners a little bit about the crushing mediocrity, how can they use some of those principles to really crush it in today’s workplace? What kind of advice do you have for our listeners?

>> Lisa: I would say my first piece of advice is to determine what is it that gets you up in the morning? What do you love about your job with, it may not be the job itself, right? Cuz I’ve had people say, well, how do I have a purpose driven job if I answer the telephone?

>> Kathy: Mm-hm.

>> Lisa: Because you’re the first point of contact at that dealership or at that business. In my opinion, I put more credence sometimes in hiring my front desk people than I ever did in a lot of other people because they were the first point of contact.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: Both face-to-face and on the telephone.

>> Kathy: Right.

>> Lisa: Wildly, wildly important to the success. And then they say, well, I just don’t understand. And then I say, okay, I want you to think about the most purpose-driven businesses or people that I know, our first responders and our brave military, men and women. They don’t do it for the money, they do it because they fundamentally believe, and you can’t say all people, but most people, they fundamentally believe that they have been called to serve and protect. There’s nobody’s like teachers, I mean nobody is going to get rich in any of those professions but they still get up every single day and they do it. And so I believe every profession has a purpose behind it but you’ve gotta find that within yourself. The second piece is exiting your comfort zone and I think that’s super important too because so many people say, well, I’m stuck.

>> Kathy: Mm-hm.

>> Lisa: [INAUDIBLE] stuck, because you have not made your intentions known to the boss or to the company. And Cathy, I can’t tell you how many times people go, yeah, does your boss know that you want to go to the next level? And they’re like, no? Okay, well, then that’s on you, not on your boss.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: So those are the couple of things and then standing out, and standing out for good, when things are down, I think about the times that I had cars on stop selling, I mean we literally couldn’t sell cars. And I just moved into my $8 million building, and I was just like, oh, God, so I had the sales people that would coming to me or my managers, and they would just whatever. And then I would have the ones that would come in and they’d be like a to encourage me, hey, don’t worry boss, we’re going to get through this. Like those were my people, because the boss needs encouraging also sometimes. It is our job to take care of our people and from a financial standpoint, we were, but I also needed someone to tell me sometimes that it was gonna be okay.

>> Kathy: Yeah, well, I think that’s great advice, and and I think I like the piece about really just owning whatever position that you have just to own it and go at it with purpose, and also to let people know what your intention is. So If your intention is to protect and serve, then do that the best you can. But if you’re looking at the next level, make sure you’re working towards that, make sure your boss knows that, make sure that everything you do is focused there. Yes, yes, I think that’s really good advice and it’s fine to be wherever you are but I like the piece about just really owning that.

>> Lisa: Yeah, it’s just owning your choices.

>> Kathy: Yes, yeah.

>> Lisa: It’s [INAUDIBLE] pillars, but it’s owning your choices both good or bad, because we all have made bad choices. So versus blaming on someone else, I hate the blame game, versus blaming it on someone else, it’s standing up and saying, I messed up.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: Forgive me.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: But I’m not gonna do it again.

>> Kathy: Yeah, and I think we learned so-

>> Lisa: And move on.

>> Kathy: Yeah, and you learn so much too on making mistakes.

>> Lisa: Mm-hm, and you know what I find Cathy, is people are very forgiving if you own it.

>> Kathy: Yeah, I think thats right.

>> Lisa: I mean minus embezzling all their moneys and some things [UNKNOWN] but for the most part, most of the time, people, they make bad choices, because, right? Bad day, bad choice, whatever, but most of the time, there isn’t anything that people cannot get past.

>> Kathy: I think that’s great, I think it leads me into one of the other questions that I wanna talk to you about, you’re very successful and and you’ve moved around within different industries and moving with a purpose. I’m wondering, was there ever a time in your career that you had a hiccup or a mistake, and what did you really learn from that?

>> Lisa: I would say a mistake that I probably made was, we have a mortgage company here in town, God, you ask me questions I’ve never answered.

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: And we had a mortgage, and I founded it, and I probably stepped out as CEO a little too soon. It was doing great, I was at the top of the game. And I lost my passion for it, the regulations started changing, the government have gotten so involved, I just hated it. I mean, I was crazy successful, I probably should have rolled that out a couple of extra years.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: So I mean I would say, and my husband’s still I had two runs it to this day, and it does great but I look back on that, and I probably left a lot of money on the table by making a right turn,

>> Kathy: Mm-hm.

>> Lisa: And the right turn was, although it was going back into the automotive industry.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: So and I am somebody that if I don’t love it anymore, and I will open that up with, I’ve been married 30 years, so I’m not like, I mean, I do love things. [LAUGH]

>> Kathy: [LAUGH] I thought you were gonna say, I’ve been married eight times. [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: No, no, no, I’ve been married 20 years to the same guys.

>> Kathy: Awesome, that’s great.

>> Lisa: But in my career, because I give it all I’ve got, and I’m in it a 1 million %. If you’ve got me, you’ve got me, a 1 million %. But today, I don’t love it anymore, it’s like, mm-hm, like I didn’t love running car dealerships anymore.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: And it was, it was just tough, like it’s all consuming.

>> Kathy: Well, it sounds that it is really a part of who you are too. Because you wanna be, whatever you’re doing you wanna make sure that you’re excelling and you’re going on all cylinders, and you’re working with purpose. So I’m wondering, can you tell us a little bit, how would you describe your personal brand and your leadership philosophy?

>> Lisa: My personal brand, wow, I think that people would say that I’m very much, I’m all in, I got an acronym that I use and it’s fierce, it’s unapologetically fierce 365. And that’s me. I mean, I’m gonna be unapologetic about wanting success and about trying to do great things. And I believe success never sleeps. So that’s where the 365 came from. It’s, I mean, you’re in business, you’re in life 365 days a year, you know? We really can’t have a bad day, at this level that it just not possible. And then FIERCE is an acronym, and it is my six personal pillars of success. And that’s to be fearless, imagination, enthusiastic, relentless, crush approval addiction, and execute.

>> Kathy: Crush approval addiction, ooh, I gotta hear some more about that, that’s interesting.

>> Lisa: Yeah, I learned a long time ago the haters are gonna hate and that there’s gonna be people in the cheap seats shooting at you, right? And it used to, when I was younger, it used to just tear me up if I found out somebody didn’t like me or somebody didn’t agree with me. And now I’m like, you know what, that’s okay because the more people that you reach and the bigger your audience, the more naysayers that are gonna sit there. But I have found typically with the naysayers, they are the ones sitting in the cheap seats. They’re the ones who are not executing and so they’re always shooting at the people that are. So the C in FIERCE is to crush approval addiction. If you don’t like me, that’s okay.

>> Kathy: I love that you actually get-

>> Lisa: I have enough people that do.

>> Kathy: You actually gave me goosebumps when you said that.

>> Lisa: Oh good.

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: Good, that’s actually my new keynote is unapologetically FIERCE 365.

>> Kathy: I love it.

>> Lisa: And it’s probably been the most effective one I’ve ever done cuz I can really get on a roll about it. But everybody who’s in a sales or a performance type world, which is who I speak to typically, they’ve all been there. They’re sales leaders, they’re out there, they’re doing this and then you always got the person in the back, shooting them in the back, drilling holes in their boat versus withdrawing with them. And I think the first time it happens to somebody, it’s devastating, but the 100th time, you’re like, eh, that’s just part of the game.

>> Kathy: Yeah, I think that’s great advice.

>>  [BLANK_AUDIO]

>> Kathy: Lisa, I’d like to know is there a brand or two that you’re following that you think is doing an exemplary job of marketing to women? And what lessons can we learn from them?

>> Lisa: You know there are a couple, and this brand’s been doing it for a while, but I love it and I’m following them like crazy is the Dove, real beauty campaign. Because I wish the car industry would take the same take aways from Dove. It doesn’t always need to be the 19-year-old supermodel standing by the car at a car show. She’s probably not the one buying the car, right?

>> Kathy: [LAUGH] Right.

>> Lisa: And so what I love about the Dove beauty campaign is the fact that it’s real women and real skin who are really beautiful, you know? And I think that Dove has done a good job within the beauty industry redefining beauty and it’s not that 19, 20-year-old girl. It is, but every woman is beautiful and she’s beautiful if she owns her own skin. And so they’ve just always been heroes of mine and how they have done it and I’ve really tried to pull that forward into the auto industry. We’re working on a big campaign right now for a dealer group and we work really heavy in video. And when I was working with my people I said, I want women of all colors, sizes, and they were like, aah, and I’m like, absolutely. I want the women in this video to look like today’s women consumers cuz they’re all beautiful, you know? And I want it to look like and feel like the woman that’s truly walking into the dealerships, and so that’s really important to me.

>> Kathy: Yeah, and the Dove campaign that you bring up was really breakthrough because I think they were the first one to really actually show real people in their commercials because for so long we were showing models of all gender. And it’s really great to see real people, and I gotta tell you, I noticed something. I was doing a review of the Super Bowl commercials yesterday and one of the themes that I noticed was there was a lot of female leading story-lines. Great females in the commercials for the Super Bowl the first time. Ad Age did some counting and there was actually twice as many female leads as there was before and I thought that was just amazing. So Dove’s breaking through, and I think everybody’s following their lead.

>> Lisa: I think so too, what was your favorite Super Bowl commercial?

>> Kathy: Well, I really liked the one, actually, it was Oil of Olay.

>> Lisa: Oh?

>> Kathy: And I don’t know if you noticed that, but it was the one where her face had changed so much that her face recognition on her phone didn’t recognize her anymore.

>> Lisa: Yeah, [LAUGH] that was awesome.

>> Kathy: And so again, I liked it because it was a female lead. I liked it because it was showing technology, face recognition is new technology. So there’s a lot of things that they were incorporating into their message. And someone even said to me, Oil of Olay, why are they advertising on the Super Bowl? And I said, well, that’s a good question, what you don’t realize is half of the viewers of the Super Bowl are women. So imagine all that missed opportunity all these years by not addressing them.

>> Lisa: Yeah, cuz we were laughing when we had a big Super Bowl party and we’re like, okay, it’ll all be beer and cars. Beer commercials and car commercials, right?

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: But it was nice to see some of the break outs, like with Oil of Olay.

>> Kathy: Yeah, yeah, I think it was great.

>> Lisa: Yeah.

>> Kathy: Can you share your thoughts with us on networking and mentoring other women in business? What lessons have you learned along the way and how have you applied them?

>> Lisa: Well, I think networking is critical and I think mentors are critical. But the thing I would like to set up for your listeners about mentoring is the tip, the same women get asked to mentor over and over and over again. I probably get ten requests a day or a week or whatever and the bandwidth just isn’t there. So my advice is is to find relatable role models, find women out there that you’d like to watch, that you think are fantastic, and follow them, watch them. And don’t be offended if they can’t meet with you every Thursday at three o’clock for coffee, you know? For me, I know if someone says that I would like to talk to you or whatever, I don’t mind once a quarter phone call. But the coffees and the break aways and stuff, they’re impossible for busy women. And one of my best friends started a every day podcast called OnTheDotWoman.com. And every day she brings relatable role models into people’s emails. It’s a four minute podcast, it’s super easy.

>> Kathy: Wow, wow.

>> Lisa: But she highlights women from technology and everywhere in between entrepreneur, solopreneurs, intrepreneurs, millennials, everything. And but it’s four minutes of relatable role models and it really is, I think, it’s critical for women because I also believe that women are of the mentality, and I know I have been over the years. I think that’s why I’m not [COUGH] the CEO of a car brand now because I think women have to see it to be it. I think it’s important. And if women are in industries where they can’t see success, where they can’t see other women sitting in the C-suite, sitting in leadership positions, then it’s much harder for them to attain or even want to work in those industries. Because if she walks in, she looks around and doesn’t see any other women, why would she wanna work there? Which, of course, is a battle that I’ve had with the automotive industry for many, many years?

>> Kathy: Well, your advice is really great and thank you so much for sharing it because I think sometimes we think a mentor has to be the person on the top of the hill. And, like you said, that person’s busy [LAUGH] by the way.

>> Lisa: They’re busy, yeah.

>> Kathy: But there’s so many tremendous women around you or people around you, every day mentors are just as important. And I gotta tell you that’s what I felt like when I went to Women in Automotive for the first time in December in Palm Springs. I, for the first time, looked around me and said, oh my gosh, there is a room full, a hall full of successful,

>>  [BLANK_AUDIO]

>> Kathy: Women that i can talk to, i can see myself as, and it was tremendous. So i’d like to hear you talk a little bit about women in automotive and the role the organization is playing in this industry that you love.

>> Lisa: Yes I’m really proud so, it was founded by my dear friend Christy Roman and it was just a vision of hers it was like all the all the conventions that we all go to it’s mostly men.

>> Kathy: Yes.

>> Lisa: And so in the beginning the guys would say to us well we’re going to have a man in automotive conference. Well, you already have men in automotive conferences. It’s everything out there Mine is our conference. And so we wanted to have a place where women could get together. I mean we’re a lot about education and then finding those, to my point earlier, those relatable role models.

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: And I love our board it’s super diverse, we’ve got the super millennials who I love, C.B. Gosh and, some of those girls and you know we’re all ages and sizes and colors and some of us are in retail, some of us are on the vendor partner side. But we all come together, believing that we want to leave the automotive industry a better place than where we found it, which was not hard to do. And then bringing women together where we can network because that’s how women succeed. We are natural networkers. We are natural collaborators. And so we have found over the years that women who come to the conference, they end up finding those relatable role models and people they can follow on social media, or read their blogs or reach out for that one supporter. But I’ve definitely met some of the best friends I’ll ever have in Women in Automotive. Because we’re all in the same boat right, and but we’re in a boat that we’re committed to paddle each other’s boat not drill holes in it.

>> Kathy: Yeah, I think it’s great in the in the fact that you’re so committed to learning too and I think continued learning is a great theme that I’m hearing from you and, you know,

>> Lisa: And they’re all teachable, one of my pillars.

>> Kathy: Yeah, one of your pillars and I think that’s great because I found that attending the seminars that women are not emotive was also eye opening because I was learning from other women.

>> Lisa: Yes, and we are all very real and very authentic and we had some really, really powerful women and men I might add, come speak.

>> Kathy: Yes, yes.

>> Lisa: And it isn’t about, I’m so great. It’s about, here’s what I’ve been through, here’s what it took me to get to this position. And I always leave it with, if I can do it, you can do it.

>> Kathy: Yeah, absolutely.

>> Lisa: You know?

>> Kathy: Absolutely.

>> Lisa: And if there’s any, what I call hacks, that I could give to the younger women or to the women out there that would save them the heartache, sometimes that maybe are the land mines I’ve stepped into, I am happy to share.

>> Kathy: Yeah, and you know like you say, if you don’t see anybody in that position then you don’t even know if you can aspire to that,

>> Lisa: Exactly.

>> Kathy: And it’s also back to mentoring and networking. If you don’t have a female role model to ask the kind of questions or to learn from, then you’re missing out on all of that great information. So to me, I gotta tell you what, this is weird but I didn’t even know that were that many women in automotive.

>> Lisa: It’s not weird, everybody says the same thing.

>> Kathy: I was like-

>> Lisa: Where are they?

>> Kathy: Where have they been? Where have they been my whole life? So it was really great and i just think that that’s another, another one of the movements that you’re involved in that is incredible and it’s doing great things for women, it’s doing great things for the automotive industry too.

>> Lisa: I hope so. It’s my heart. It’s my love. Like I said, Christy Roman was the founder not me, but I got on board as soon as I was invited. I can tell you that.

>> Kathy: [LAUGH] Well, you are a great asset. And today too it’s great and thank you for mentoring our listeners, that’s one of the reasons why I wanted to start the podcast. Because I think that nobody can pick your brain everyday, but they can listen to our podcast and get really great advice from you. So thank you for spending your time here with us today.

>> Lisa: Well, thank you for inviting me. I think it was very valuable. I learned a lot from you too. And I just want to encourage your listeners just to remain teachable, remain teachable, listen to your podcast I don’t know if it’s weekly or if it’s monthly, but fine, because you are a relatable role model, that’s why you’ve got listeners that follow you, and it’s critical. And the day that we quit learning is the day we need to get out of business.

>> Kathy: Absolutely, and learning is so important. I’m wondering, a couple last questions I have for you.

>> Lisa: Sure.

>> Kathy: I’d like to know besides your continued learning do you have a daily habit or two that you feel contributes to your success that you can share with us.

>> Lisa: Yes, I do a morning show it’s 15 minutes, Monday to Friday at 6:45 Central 7:45 Eastern. It’s live and it’s called 15 Minutes of Fierce and at first everyone’s like you’ve lost your mind, why are you doing this?

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: It’s funny if they [INAUDIBLE] some off for the weekends, and I’m like, because I need my tribe to hold me accountable and to energize me. And that makes me get up early. When people say, what’s the number one thing I can do differently, right now, tomorrow to be more successful, I say, get up earlier!

>> Kathy: Yeah.

>> Lisa: Get up.

>> Kathy: Isn’t that amazing?

>> Lisa: Between 5:00 AM and 7:30 AM or 8:00 AM, you can get, in that three hours, you can get nine hours worth of work done, because the rest of the world is sleeping.

>> Kathy: Yes, great advice.

>> Lisa: When everyone is asleep, get ahead of the game, plan your day and then you are able to end your day earlier which means that gives you more life balance and time for yourself. So that is my daily is that I get up and I read every single morning, I pray every single morning. I don’t exercise every morning, but I try at least four mornings a week.

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: But the show for me is a non-negotiable because my tribe absolutely empowers me.

>> Kathy: You are a brave woman to get up early every morning and go live, good for you Oh, you mean like I’m not that cute.

>> Lisa: I’ve got a baseball hat on every single morning that says fierce. And I don’t wear a lot of makeup. It’s just the real me but the real people jump on with the real me. Those are my tribe.

>> Kathy: Yeah, that’s awesome.

>> Lisa: We challenge each other and I try to really take them along on this journey that I’m on and share everything I know.

>> Kathy: Yeah. Well speaking of sharing everything, you know, do you have any marketing resources, any books or other podcasts that you would recommend to our listeners?

>> Lisa: You know, I really liked the gals called Ladies Get Paid. I went and spoke at their conference in New York six months ago and it’s ladiesgetpaid.com, I think they are fantastic. And I met them through Women in Automotive. They came and spoke at Women in Auto. And the new book I’m reading right now, well, I like Tim Grover’s book Relentless a lot and David Goggins is the new hot deal and the name of his book is Can’t Hurt Me. And there’s kind of that whole theme of stuff I read, like I like stuff that really pushes the outer boundaries exiting your comfort zone. So I tend to go a bit on the extreme side, but you know what, if they can do it, I can do it and if I can do it, you can do it and I’m just afraid firm believer.

>> Kathy: Yeah, that makes, that’s great advice. So, that’s all I have as far as questions for you today. Is there any place that we can keep an eye out for you? You got anything planned? Any speaking events or anything that we can look out for?

>> Lisa: Well, all of my speaking stuff is private. I’m hired by companies, typically, so they’re not public. I will be at Women at Automotive in June.

>> Kathy: Fantastic.

>> Lisa: So I hope that you’ll be out there, Cathy-

>> Kathy: I hope to.

>> Lisa: [CROSSTALK] great time.

>> Kathy: [LAUGH]

>> Lisa: And so I’ll be there, and then I’m speaking at another public event called Rockstar Auto Conference, it’s in May in Las Vegas. I’m speaking at the Hussle and Grind Auto Public Conference which in April, April 4th and 5th in Orlando. So yeah, so if you go to lisacopeland.com, you’ll have all of my speaking tour that’s public.

>> Kathy: Well, there you have it. Lisacopeland.com, find out what Lisa’s doing, follow her and check out her morning pod cast called

>> Lisa: 15 Minutes of Fierce and it’s on Facebook Live on my public page which is Speaker Lisa Copeland.

>> Kathy: Well, I’m gonna check that out because.

>> Lisa: Yeah, please do.

>> Kathy: I can use some inspiration first thing in the morning myself, thanks.

>> Lisa: I have lots of coffee, I am like geared up by the time I get on people are like you got nine cups of coffee today, haven’t you?

They’re like no one’s this happy at 6: 45 in the morning, if you have not had nine cups of coffee, so you’ve answered your own question. [LAUGH]

>> Kathy: Well, Lisa, thank you. You’ve been such a generous guest and I’ve enjoyed our conversation so much. Thank you.

>> Lisa: You’re welcome.

>> Kathy: All right, everybody. Don’t forget to check out the show under marketingpodcast.com for my entire conversation with Lisa and our show notes as well so you can look at anything in particular that you thought you might have missed. Thanks, everybody, signing off. Bye.

>>  [MUSIC]

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up For Our Marketing Minute Tips.

We'll keep you informed about the latest marketing news, trends and developments.

Advanced Marketing Strategies
8910 University Center Lane
Suite 620
San Diego, CA 92122
Phone 858-490-6910
Fax 858-490-6985

Don’t wait! Contact AMS today and get a FREE Brand Assessment!

OR EMAIL DIRECTLY TO:
INFO@AM-STRATEGIES.COM

Back To Top