skip to Main Content
Ep.28 Show Runner – Tiffany Stroupe

Ep.28 Show Runner – Tiffany Stroupe

•Tour a Dynasty Brand and the Future of Customer Experience Centers!•

You’ll get a behind the scenes view of a DYNASTY BRAND with a worldwide reach and hear how innovative customer experience centers are shaping the future of retail. Tiffany is a change agent and a believer in saying yes to opportunity. Hear how she went from Tailor Made to Taco Bell to Hyundai as she brings an extraordinary perspective to our conversation of marketing, branding, communications, and personal growth. With an MBA in management and leadership, she takes us on an epic journey through Hyundai Motors in Korea and shares her experience with how they’re changing the culture, the expectations, and the aspirations of the automotive world, abroad and in the USA. You’ll also find her enthusiasm and excitement for continued learning and career growth a fantastic mentoring opportunity – she has some great tips you won’t want to miss!

Tiffany Stroupe, Senior Group Manager, Customer Experience Strategy Hyundai Motor North America

Lessons you will learn from this podcast:

  • What does Saks Fifth Avenue, an interactive museum and an outdoor garden have in common with robotics, engineering, and a test track?
  • Canada, Korea, United States – how to foster an environment of collaboration with tools for sharing best practices while communicating across countries, cultures, and time difference
  • A fascinating look at the future of brand experience centers and their effect on customer satisfaction
  • Why bad news can help you make good decisions
  • An ingenious idea for using a white space calendar to motivate and inspire – a must-try!
  • Examples of networking for success and why the profound effects are worth that tiny bit of energy
  • Twitter’s – Flip it to test it – uncovering our own stereotypes and gender biases
  • Inclusion and diversity the secret sauce for doing it right
  • Authentic gender-balanced messages from Cummings, Salesforce, Gillette, and Audi
TRANSCRIPTS

>> Kathy Cunningham: Hi, everybody. It’s Kathy and today we’re networking with Tiffany Stroup. The senior group manager, customer experience strategy and support for Hyundai Motor North America headquarters. It’s a good thing Tifanny loves challenges and collaborating. Because she works in a dynamic fast pace environment. And she is a big part of their [UNKNOWN] partnership culture at Hyundai. She’s a researcher at heart and a passionate team player. And she takes a customer focused approach, relying on both data and instincts to drive decisions. And this explains her ability to derive clear and actionable insights to educate, engage, affect, change and gain buy in from the front line employees to executives. With an MBA in management and leadership, her career journey has been focused on automotive, customer care centers, customer satisfaction, market research, and marketing. I met Tiffany at women in Automotive Conference last year. And it was so interesting, and it was easy to learn and network with so many successful women in the industry. I was so excited to finally get you on the show Tiffany, it’s been a while. So welcome to The Show Runner Marketing Podcast.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Oh, Cathy, thank you so much. I am so honored and thrilled to be a part of it.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, it’s fun to have you on. We talked to Rose, your cohort, a while back, at Women in Automotive, Orlando, and we had a great time there. Learned a lot. Got a lot of inspiration. And so it’s great to circle back around with you and talk to you today.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yes, thank you. I’m glad you got a chance to interview her. She’s great and I heard that she had a wonderful time with you.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH] Well Tiffany I gave a little bit of a background about you. But tell us a little bit more about your professional journey and your background in marketing and business.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Absolutely. So I started my career in advertising, specifically in marketing research and I worked on brands like TaylorMade and Asics as well as others. And then I moved on to a research company working with mostly telecom and automotive brands. And from there, I moved to the Auto Club of Southern California, where I was both in market research as well as product management on many aspects of their fairly vast business. And then I got a job at Taco Bell in brand research, was part of the larger marketing organization. And while I was there, I learned about strategy, and I will never forget that. I’m really thankful that I had that opportunity. But I was lucky enough to get a job at Hyundai in 2008, and I’ve been there for 11 years. I started out in customer satisfaction. Moved into call center operations and then from there I moved over to parts and accessories sales and marketing, I was there for four years. And then i was asked to take a role for the vice president of customer satisfaction in planning and integration and working across the division which was a fantastic role and was my favorite role to date. Until I had the opportunity to take the role that I’m in now, which is in a newly formed group called Hyundai Motor North America, and it’s really exciting we get to work with. This is subsidiaries of North America. So that’s Canada, Mexico and the US, as well as Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama. I mean it’s a small but mighty group and we’ve been able to connect with all three of the countries on a regular basis. And for that reason, it’s my favorite role to date. Because I just love bridging and filling gaps and I have really enjoyed connecting with all these people.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Wow, what a great breadth of experience you’ve had. My goodness all the way from Tailor Made to Taco Bell to Hyundai.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: [LAUGH] Yes it’s been a good journey.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Definitely.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well boy, it’s so interesting and now you get to work with all the divisions across the country and in Canada and abroad so it’s so interesting. I’d really love to hear about what are some of the most critical challenges you and your team at Hyundai are navigating regarding customer experience.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: [LAUGH] Well that’s an interesting question. Cuz I think it depends on who’s asking and also what day it is. [LAUGH] Because it changes as much as the weather changes. So, some of the challenges that we face are just getting people to really understand, in the direction that we’re going and any change that we have in direction, which again seems to happen around Hyundai fairly frequently. Other challenges might be in getting people to open up to the idea of collaboration. Now that were North America we are encouraging the subsidiaries to share their best practices and share their assets and content so that each one of the companies can benefit from it. It’s not necessarily that they are competitors but they’ve been so used to working sort of in their own area that they don’t think about sort of cross-pollinating if you will. And I was just able to recently create a SharePoint site that we would be able to use for all of our partners. And specifically, we’re looking at that for the training groups so that they can share their assets and content which is a cost reduction really for us. And the exciting thing is that I just last week, got to meet and include a person who is at Hyundai Motor, Brazil. And that’s South and Central America. So now really we’re talking to everyone in all of the Americas.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Wow and I would imagine that there’s such learning to be had there. And really just, it sounds like you’re fostering an environment of collaboration where you’re sharing in the best practices and why not? Because as you said you’re not competing, you’re all one company, so why not learn from everybody and just everybody builds up.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Absolutely. Yeah, that is our number one priority. I mean, we really are here to support the other subsidiaries but they can then support each other as well.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Now, what are some of the challenges that you face and trying to bring everybody together like that?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Well, one is time differences so we have timezone challenges. And you know often we want to include folks in Korea who are HMC, Hyundai Motor Company, but there’s a 16-hour time difference between us and them. So California to Seoul. And then we have a three hour difference to the east coast, which is where our Canada group is based. So you look at that 19-hour difference, it might be easier for one group to be in the next morning and the other one to be ending their day. But we’ve worked it out on occasion, typically, and the whole reason that North America was created was to make it easier. And to not have that large time difference. So make it easier we have only a three-hour time difference. So we tend to be able to make meetings in the middle of the day and everyone’s able to attend. So that was our biggest challenge so far. With the different groups.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, I know we’re taping our podcast today and you’re in your office in Fountain Valley. So how many clocks do you have on your wall?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: [LAUGH] Actually, I’m not in my office, but two things. One is that we are currently working on an internal web-based system that will allow us to communicate. And one of the items, one of the little widgets that will be a part of that website, is a clock that will allow you to set like three, four different time zones, so I’m looking forward to that.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah [LAUGH].

>> Tiffany Stroupe: And then there’s probably websites and apps that I could download. But around the corner we have what’s called Techline, and that’s supporting technicians throughout the United States. And they literally have four different clocks up because from East Coast all the way over to Hawaii we’ve got a lot of different time zones. So I can walk over there anytime I want to check it out.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH] Fantastic. You mentioned Korea. I’d love to hear about your recent trip. I know you took a trip to Hyundai Motors Company in Seoul, Korea as part of the Hyundai Hero Awards group. I was following you on social media and you sent back some fantastic pictures of not only Seoul, but of the Hyundai facilities, and I’d like to hear about that.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, my gosh, it was such a great trip. Thank you for asking, and I’m glad that you enjoyed the pictures, I enjoyed taking them. Obviously I have such fond memories. And the trip was sort of an Employee of the Year type trip, it was called Hyundai Heroes, and they selected 25 of us to represent the core values of Hyundai, and I’m honored to have been a part of that group. It included all of North America, so that would include Hyundai Auto Canada, Hyundai Motor Mexico, HATCI, which is a group that’s near us but also has different locations. CRADLE is actually a group in Menlo Park that is part of Hyundai, and Hyundai Motor America as well as Hyundai Motor North America, where I’m from. So we had a lot of different companies represented, and like I said, 25 people altogether, and the people were just wonderful. It was so great to hang out with them, they were so much fun. I feel like I made friends for life, and I know that really wasn’t the point. [LAUGH] The point of the trip was more about immersion into the culture as well as into the Hyundai brand, which is just a dynasty in Korea, I was just blown away by it. It was so impressive. And we went to Hyundai Motor Company on the first day and we learned all about their future strategies. It was amazing that they shared all that with us, I was just eating it up, I couldn’t get enough. We also went to the Hyundai R&D Center and got to see some of the newer vehicles. I think they were clay models, so very early stages. Several motor studios, which are basically like brand stores, if you will. We also went to a brand experience center, which was a fantastic concept, which I did put out on LinkedIn and got a lot of feedback on. I think it’s the wave of the future, I think that there’s a lot of individual dealerships and brands that are trying to get there to an experience, if you will. And this was very cool. It had an interactive museum, it had a showroom full of vehicles, including CAT-like Mack-truck-type diesel, I guess, vehicles. And I just had no idea that it was so expensive for Hyundai, but it was cool to be able to see that. They had a restaurant, a shop, and you could even test drive cars on a track. So a lot going on to distract you from the fact that you might be servicing your vehicle, which was the point of the center, so it’s a great way to get around that. And then we went to the steel manufacturing plant, was awesome. It was like seeing the core of the Earth. There is nothing like it and there is actually no employees there. I saw more landscaping employees than I did factory employees, because really it’s all automated. And it would pour out this bright yellow liquid, which was the steel in liquid form. And once it was formed it would run down the tracks with water poured all over it because otherwise it would melt, and it was about 50 feet long and about 3 or 4 feet wide, and super thick. It would go through these rollers and get squashed until it would get down to a very thin piece of flat wide metal and curl up at the end. It was 2,000 degrees, so you can feel it from 150 feet away, and it takes 2 days to cool off. I am a nerd, I love that stuff. I just thought it was awesome. And of course we had great food every day, and we got to go to the palace next to the president’s mansion. And also, I visited the Hyundai department store, who knew? It’s 11 stories, there were hundreds of people there shopping, it was like Saks Fifth Avenue on steroids, it was just crazy. All kinds of restaurants on the 11th floor with an outdoor garden, phenomenal.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Wow, I mean, now I understand why you say it’s a dynasty brand.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, they also have hotels, they have robotics, engineering, shipping, construction. I’m certain I’m forgetting a few things here, but obviously automotive is the number one thing, but it’s it’s pretty intense, and every taxi cab there is a sonata, a Hyundai Sonata.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Wow.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: So it’s 75% market share between Hyundai and Kia. It’s pretty awesome.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Oh my goodness.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Oh my goodness. Wow, so such insights you brought back. I can imagine that you can share with your own brand experience here in California. Do you have some plans to put some of that stuff into the works?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Oh, well, if we have plans, I couldn’t tell you until it was revealed. [LAUGH]

>> Kathy Cunningham: Darn.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: But maybe another podcast.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah, well, the Brand Experience Center just sounds fantastic, and it’s interesting that they show the breadth of their lineup, even all the way up to the trucks that you were talking about, the commercial trucks. And you really get a sense of the brand, and all the research, and all the technology, and that really elevates, I think, the brand assets.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Absolutely, I mean, like I said there’s the commercial trucks, there’s construction vehicles, equipment, there’s buses, trailers, just everything. It’s not necessarily what every other country has, but I mean, Hyundai, like I said, it’s a dynasty.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Wow, it’s incredible. And I know there’s some really cool things that you guys are doing here as well, at the headquarters. And I’m wondering if you could tell us a little bit about Hyundai as an organization, and how they’re changing the culture, and the expectations, and the aspirations of the automotive industry?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Absolutely, yeah, that could not be a better time to question, I think, because here’s why. In addition to the North America group being formed just within the last year and allowing us to work with other Hyundai companies within the North America Territory. We now have a new COO of the Americas, if you will, and that is Jose Munoz. He came from Nissan, and he really sees opportunities. I mean, for me, he’s been a breath of fresh air. He’s so engaged, he’s so exacting, and so strategic, it’s wonderful. And we also have William Lee, who is our Chief Advisor, who brings all of the Hyundai knowledge. So between the two of them, they are wonderful partners, and I think it’s gonna work out really well. There’s just so much to do. So, right now they’re tackling kind of the big rocks, and eventually we’ll get to some other things, but I’m really excited. Like I have not been this motivated in a while, and I feel like it’s because of the direction that they’re providing. So I think you’ll see some cultural shifts. Some business shifts, and I think it’s all gonna be really positive for Hyundai.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Wow, that’s really exciting stuff, Tiffany. It sounds like what’s going on over in Seoul, Korea and the new management and the new CEO, Jose Muñoz. I mean, really, I’m just excited to see where Hyundai’s gonna go.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, thank you. Me too.

>> Kathy Cunningham: And you’re right there in the middle of it.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I know. It’s so exciting. I love it.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH] You know we talked about Hyundai as a dynasty brand. I’m wondering if there is a brand or two that you follow and maybe you can share with us some marketing lessons that we can learn from them.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: You know, it’s interesting when I was thinking about this the other day, I used to follow some brands and I haven’t really followed any lately. I think what’s neat about Hyundai is that we kind of go our own way. It’s really a sort of a wild west situation, if you will, because that leads people to just kind of be able to do whatever they’re going to do. And obviously we have a strategy, but we have the freedom to be able to develop what we need to develop and within the market and kind of localization and it, it allows us to define the future. So, it’s not set in stone. There’s nobody saying this is how it should be done. We get to do it. So there are some brands I think that provide some inspiration. They may not necessarily be in the automotive space, but I think there’s not for me. There’s not one specific brand that I’m following right now.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, I’m curious how the branding of Hyundai trickles down to the dealership level. Can you talk to us a little bit about that?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Sure, yeah. We have a large team of marketing folks who are trying to really offer dealers the National advertising which is what they do. And then there’s tier two and tier three type advertising so it gives dealers more flexibility to leverage what they want, when they want and sort of how they want. And, you know, there are some expectations of what dealers should maybe consider as opposed to doing their own thing so that we stay more in tune with the brand or in line with the brand. But there is also a lot of flexibility for them, so pretty cool. I know that Dean and his group are working really hard with a lot of fun things and our training group is tied in really closely with them. We have our field meeting coming up, and so I’m gonna learn a whole bunch more in the next couple weeks than I have now. So it’s kind of my first time because I’m North America, and because I’m responsible from a North America’s perspective for customer experience. Which is one end of the journey to the other, from dealer development through the retail process, all the way through the life of the vehicle until end of life and with that vehicle or that relationship with the customer. So it has now allowed me to work with sales and work with their training team and get to know how they integrate with marketing. And so like I said next week is the field meeting and some pretty big learning for me.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah, I think that’s reallly, a pivotal point is bringing that brand alive and that customer experience at the dealership level, and really maintaining all of that fantastic dynasty brand and really just bringing that to the customer. I think that, that’s a great challenge.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, actually, we were talking about that just last week when we had some important visitors here. One of them is the CMO from Hyundai Motor Company and we talked about consistency in the brand message. And so we’ve got some plans things I can’t really talking about right now, but I think we will be able to reveal it in the future.

>> Kathy Cunningham: You’re so tight lipped I can’t get anything out of you.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: [LAUGH] I have, just a little teaser here, in a little bit there.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, just mean we’ll have to come back and talk to you again,definitely

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yes, absolutely.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, speaking about branding, let’s talk a little bit about you, Tiffany. Tell us about this great successful journey that you’ve been on in research and marketing, customer experience. Can you describe for us your personal brand and your leadership philosophy?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, absolutely, so my personal brand, I actually did this exercise about five years ago. I was trying to figure out what it is about me that I can always rely on. And what is it that I want others to be aware of things that I offer and that’s open, being open. Being honest, transparent and authentic. On honesty being open is important to me and I think it kind of goes along with honesty but open is also about being willing to stop what I’m doing and go with the flow. Honesty is also important and has been my whole entire life, transparency, something that I’ve had to learn at first. I was kind if worried about sharing too much, and I’ve learnt this lesson just in maybe, call it the last three years. I was working with my VP at the time, Barry [UNKNOWN] and he was really good at reminding me that everything needed to be on the table. In order to make a good decision, you can’t really hold anything back, even if it’s bad news, you have to put it down on the table analyze it, and then make a decision. So I found that it’s easier to share up front than to have those kinds things found out later. So whatever it might be, making a business decision, we wanna consider all facets of it. Authenticity is another one where it was a learning lesson for found myself trying really hard to be the things that other people maybe thought I was or that they wanted me to be. And I had a kind of an awakening moment where I said, you know what I really need to just embrace who I am. And if I embrace who I am other people will embrace who I am and it’s not like it’s some big secret. I think I was just worrying about elements of my personality coming out and scaring people or throwing them off or whatever. I mean I’m full of energy and I like to give around and laugh and have a good time. But I also can get pretty serious and immediately get down to business so that I worried that those extremes would throw people off.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: But I’ve come to know that, that’s actually benefit. As who I am. So I’ve been owning and showing my personality a lot more in the last couple of years and-

>> Kathy Cunningham: That’s really good advice that somebody gave you, that’s great.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, thank you, yeah I appreciate those people. And then I think you asked about philosophy, is that right?

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah your leadership philosophy.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, so one of the things in the last couple of years that has been I guess its been important to me is to be a voice for change. So I think I’m not afraid of change, I used to be but I’m not afraid of change any more. So as an example, when North America is an opportunity came up, I was like, yeah. That’s awesome. I wanna do it. [LAUGH] And other people were thinking, mm, I’m not so sure. I think HR told me I was the only one that was excited. But now everybody’s excited about it that’s on the team but it’s change. So it took a little bit of time for some people to jump on board, but I’m a voice for change. So whether it’s a small change or large change, I want to be a part of it. I’m all for it. And the other one that I was thinking about, and I’m not sure if it’s my philosophy, but it’s kind of become a little bit of a mantra for me is say yes to everything.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Ah.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, say yes to you and your podcast. I didn’t say yes to before, and now I’m saying yes, and I love it. Open to things, networking with people so important. It’s so important, I can’t even stress that enough.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah, well, I think I love how you’re sharing your philosophy of being open to change and embracing change, because I can just hear it in your story, is that being open to change is really being open to opportunity.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yes, yep, and if we say no, it limits us. So who knows what’s gonna happen once we say yes? It’s not like there’s an avalanche that’s going to fall on our heads. It’s gonna doors open, people open their minds once you say yes. So, I’ve been practising saying yes more often.

>> Kathy Cunningham: And what is it that I heard lately is that comfort is the enemy of success?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Oh.

>> Kathy Cunningham: So really, it sounds like you’re getting out of your comfort zone, and saying yes to things and being open to change, and that really leads to success.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I love it, I would say that’s absolutely true.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, and it’s great. Thank you for sharing your brand essence and being open and honest and transparent and authentic and open to change and really embracing who you are and the goofy side of you and the research and the serious side of you. I’m sure that probably does throw people off. But it’s fun, it’s different. And the thing that I learned, I once took a 360 degree assessment and the things that you can learn about yourself, everybody already knows. I found out one of the things that I always laugh about is it said, I came I said to my business partner, oh, my gosh, did you know that I’m very high into control?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: [LAUGH]

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah [LAUGH] So just being your true and authentic self and embracing it because that’s who you are, and people really know that anyways.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yup.

>> Kathy Cunningham: So it’s the embracing it, it’s using it to your advantage. I think really, I can see in your face, in your story that that’s really what propels you and makes you successful.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Oh, thank you. Yeah, I appreciate that. And the acknowledgement is nice, too, cuz it’s like, well, my hard work is paying off.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH] Exactly. Do you have maybe some stories? I mean somebody like you doesn’t get to where you are in this position in life and being a successful you are in marketing and business without maybe having some mentoring along the way. What has mentoring meant to you and your career? Are there any lessons that you’ve learned and you’ve applied or maybe even how you’ve used mentoring to help other people and bring them up along with you?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, mentoring is fantastic. I think it’s underused and often misunderstood. It’s fantastic because it allows the mentee to learn and they can learn about what they can become from the mentor. The mentor then gets to learn about how to help others, and it softens the person, in a good way, in a very good way. It makes them more empathetic to what people at different levels are going through. Because sometimes, you’ve been at a level for so long, maybe you forget. At least, that’s what I’ve seen with some folks. But definitely, the whole process is very reciprocal. And I say it’s underused because I think at least with the companies I’ve been at including Hyundai. We haven’t had one and so had informal mentoring programs. It wasn’t until I was in the women to unlimited program just last year I graduated two months ago from that program. But it wasn’t until I was in that program that I really learned about mentoring and that it needed to be formalized, and it’s kind of misunderstood. It’s like, oh, do I just talk to a person and that’s a mentoring program? Well, sure, back in being an informal version of it. But if you really want a solid mentoring program, it’s important that it be formalized. It’s important that commitment is given on both, or by both parties, and both sides.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Right.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: And then it’s also important to have accountability and to have homework and to prepare for the conversation. And it needs to have regular meetings. It’s so easy to kind of blow off the whole thing and be like, ah, I’m too busy. I can’t do this right now. And I’ve gone through that little mental challenge, saying to myself. It’s like a battle like, oh, I need this and I don’t have done for this so I have to work. I don’t want to do my own. So the whole process, but when I have just said nope do it, Tiffany, you’ll be better for it. I found that our conversations cuz I have two mentors at this moment. Have been very effective for me. The outcome’s been fantastic. And right now, as a matter of fact, something I can actually share with you.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I’m part of a group here at Hyundai called the Women at Hyundai. And it is one of eight different groups called Employee Resource Groups, or ERGs, and they were developed based on diversity. And our group, I’m very proud, I’m the chair of our group and we have grown so quickly, I feel like there’s something happening here. There’s a tipping point, and it is happening right now because we have doubled our membership in the last year. It’s crazy. We have 104 members and I keep trying to figure out how do we add value. How do we engage people? What is the balance between giving and getting or learning and teaching or even work-life balance? What is that people need? So we landed on a mentoring program.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Oh.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: And we are right in the throws of trying to create working groups. Cuz we took what is a very large task, and we divided it up into seven categories. And now we’re creating working groups for each category, and each one of these working groups will complete their task. Some of it will have to be kind of a cadence, like a chronological order. One starts first, and then the others can begin. But it’s something that we’ve never really had a formalized program here at Hyundai. So we thought well, the women at Hyundai will create a program. It touches on all aspects of our charter, which is about development, and education, and employer attention, brand awareness, all of that good stuff. So there’s going to be a lot of great ways that we can talk about this mentoring program with everyone and also benefit from it internally. So, we’re hoping that we can do mentoring that allows levels to help each other. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be executive, level helping-

>> Kathy Cunningham: Right.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Other levels. It’s there’s plenty to be learned from many levels of the organization.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Mm-hm.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: So really excited about that, and-

>> Kathy Cunningham: Wow.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I want to tell you once we’ve officially launched it. I think, all the work will be done this year and will launch in 2020.

>> Kathy Cunningham: That is just fantastic. And thank you for breaking down the process of mentoring because I think that’s so important. There’s accidental mentors, there’s all kinds of mentoring going on there. But really if you set it up as a process the way you say and you set your goals and you have your homework, and both sides, the mentor and the mentee, are learning and growing from the experience, it can be fabulous.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Absolutely, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with accidental mentors. I have several myself, and I absolutely love talking with them, and I learn so much, and it’s a great resource, especially great is to have somebody outside of the company. So that there’s no sense of intimidation, or there’s no sense of worry that, oh, if I ask this question, I’m gonna look bad or dumb or silly. But it’s also nice to have them internally so that you can kind of navigate the unwritten rules, the things that only the culture of that company knows. And so I think, the ideal is for somebody to have a formal mentorship and several informal that are both in and outside of their company, I think that’s just the perfect scenario. Cuz then they can bounced their ideas off of different people depending on what the scenario is.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Right, right, cuz you get different kind of advice from different types of mentors. And you’ve been a fabulous mentor for our listeners today, Tiffany, so I just wanna thank you for just sharing all this insight, it’s great. And it’s really fun to hear about the employee resource group, the ERG, that you say and the Women@Hyundai. And again, I can just see that you are a change agent, and this is something that you’re bringing to the company. And is this something that you think maybe is gonna travel across the North America group? Is this something that other countries are gonna be doing?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Wow, I love that you ask that question because when I went on the Hyundai Hero Trip to Korea, I actually met a gal from, like I said sort of part of Hitachi, but it’s called Cradle. She is working in their HR department, and she’s very interested in female kind of forward groups, and so we made her an honorary member.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Very good.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: And because if she can go on the Hero Trip, then she can be a part of our ERG as well. And then I also got to meet the head of HR at Hyundai Auto Canada, who also is the chair of the women’s group there that just launched, and they have 37 members, I’m so proud of them. So yeah, it’s kinda spreading across, and we’re happy to support anyone, and I’ve talked to actually other OEMs who have women’s groups. And it’s really exciting to see this happening. I don’t think it’s about women taking over the world, I think it’s just about gender balance. And I think this is a tipping point, and like I said, we’re right on the verge, I love it.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah, you really are, and it’s fantastic. And I like that word too, gender balance, because we know in the automotive industry that it’s very heavily male dominated industry. And so I think if women can see themselves in other women, it really shows them what their journey can be in a company, and really gives them a lot of energy, and they can excel more.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Absolutely agree. Yeah, there needs to be models.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, Tiffany, thanks for sharing the Women@Hyundai ERG. And I know, in speaking with Rose, that there’s several other types of ERG’s that you have within Hyundai. Can you tell us a little bit about that?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Sure, yeah, we have eight altogether, and again, they’re based on diversity, so underrepresented groups perhaps. And so obviously gender, we have the female group for age, there is the millennial group, they’re called the Young Leaders. We also have ethnicity represented by three groups. The Hispanic group which is [FOREIGN] the African-American group which is Hyundai’s Soul, and then the Asian group which is called Because Asian. And then we have our sexual orientation or preference group, which is also maybe known as LGBTQ plus, and that’s called Hyundai Pride. And then we have a group that’s focused on the military service, and they are the Stars and Stripes. And then last we have the group that is focused on mental and physical disabilities called Hyundai Cares. And each group has their focus with their charter, and they do great things. And it’s so fun, and different groups are putting out different events and programs. And sometimes it’s like wow, I can’t go to all these things.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: But it’s awesome to have so many choices. So last week was a pride week, and we had a big celebration here with music. And we had balloons and lunch, and there was just a whole lot of activity going on. There was a, oh shoot, a recent event that I’m thinking of oh, a Bingo, The ERG Cares. It was Bingo that they were raising money for Go Fish, which is a group that they work with and gets these kids out on a boat and entertains them and teaches them how to fish, and they just have a wonderful time. So we raised over $1,000 in our Bingo efforts to get this group of kids out on the ocean and enjoy themselves, but every group does something different and throughout the year, so it’s a lot of fun.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Well, I think it’s really great because I think that a lot of people are looking for purpose in their work. And I think that Hyundai is really showing that they are there to give their employees purpose in what they’re doing as well.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, I think of the ERGs, the employee resource groups, as the heart and soul of Hyundai, and I’ve said that so many times, and I probably will never change my feelings about that because it’s exactly what you just said. It gives people purpose, it engages them, they find value in it, and it allows them to express themselves in a way that maybe their job role doesn’t. And it a connection, it’s amazing.

>> Kathy Cunningham: I think, as a marketer, I’m having all kinds of thoughts in my head about how this can trickle down to the customer experience and the dealership level. And really blowing that brand up because it’s so different from anything that I’m hearing right now about any of the other OEMs. That I think they could really make a marketing stance with some of these at the consumer level too.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I like it, I do.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah. [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Put that in my back pocket for a meeting. [LAUGH]

>> Kathy Cunningham: How exciting, how exciting. Tiffany, can you share with us, are there any ways that you would like to mentor our listeners? What are the ways that woman can excel and achieve their goals in today’s workplace? Any advice you have for us?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Sure, yeah, I think I mentioned it, and I’m gonna say it again cuz I just kind of very lightly touched on it. And the number one way is to say yes to every opportunity that comes up. And research shows that women tend to hesitate professionally where men will jump right in, and I don’t think it’s differentiated between the job role that looks interesting or the opportunity to work on a particular project. I think in all cases, women tend to say, oh, I’m not up for the challenge, I don’t meet every qualification. I’m not sure I can do that or doubt themselves. Why do we as a group hesitate? There’s no need for that. Maybe we overanalyze, maybe we don’t have enough confidence collectively, maybe there’s fear. But women stop hesitating just say yes.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH] Great advice, great advice and I wrote that down and underlined and I’m gonna do that.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yes, and we can overthink it later, but for now we’ll just say yes.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Right. That’s such good advice. You know, I interviewed Anne Simmons and she was a fabulous lady and she taught us a lot about what goes on in our mind and the things that women think about. And we’ve got to replace those negative thoughts with positive thoughts. And we don’t have to be totally qualified in our mind to say yes, just like you said, we just have to do it because men will just say yes. Even if they’re not, even if they’re half as qualified as they need to be, they’ll say yes anyway, so, got to say yes, that is awesome advice. I love it.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Thank you.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yes, that’ll be our theme for this.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: [LAUGH]

>> Kathy Cunningham: Just say yes.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I love it.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Is there anything that you encountered in your career, anything that knowing now what you know that you might not have gotten into? Anything that you would’ve done differently?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, probably I would have networked more. I think, I realize now in the 11 years that I’ve been here at Hyundai that networking has been a key, like just a key piece of how I’ve been able to get around and navigate Hyundai. And one person that I knew early on, she demonstrated that for me and I thought oh my gosh, is this how you do it? But then I look back on all the other years before Hyundai that I didn’t network that I was kind of intimidated by it or afraid or worried about, just oh, this is so draining so much energy. I actually have found that the benefits of networking have been so profound that it’s worth that tiny bit of energy that I expend. People are so helpful. It’s amazing. People will help get you a job. People will help connect you with other people. And it’s just important to get to know people. I mean, it’s how we get business done. There’s so much other stuff around us. The systems and the technology, and the paperwork and the day to day stuff, but it’s the people that actually help get it done.

>> Kathy Cunningham: It’s very wise advise, networking. I think that is great if you could one thing that you would do again is network more. And you know its interesting that you said you came across this later in your career because I feel like I did the same thing. And I really have to tell you I think the women in Automotive Conference that I attended was really a catalyst to that, because it was such an open environment where everybody was so willing to talk and to share, and to get to know each other and to network. And I think maybe it was because it was the women in automotive that you could see other people just like you and you were more comfortable networking. And being a woman in a male dominated industry, when you try to network and everybody in the room is maybe different than you are, a different gender, it’s not as comfortable.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah.

>> Kathy Cunningham: So it kind of gave me the knowledge of how to do it and see some results from it, and say wow, I really like this! I didn’t even think I was gonna like it.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah absolutely agree with you. And you know we sent I think it was like four or five people to our first women and automotive conference and from there we had maybe probably six people go or five people go. And this last time just what a week ago I really wanted to send as many people as we possibly could, we sent ten people. And that was really exciting for us because it was across the country. So it wasn’t our home base where it’s easy for people to drive in. But we sent ten people and you got to talk to one of them, but they bonded. They got to meet other people. They got to learn from other people. And just the whole experience was wonderful. So yeah, I absolutely agree. It’s kind of a catalyst and we should leverage it as much as possible.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Fantastic. Yes, that’s great. Thanks for sharing that. This is the part I like this is a fun part. Wanna see the fun side of Tiffany. [LAUGH] Do you have a daily habit or two that you think contributes to your success?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yes, I think I’m kind of nerdy. And my research part of me is coming out or something, but I don’t know if it’s daily but I do think about it every day. I just don’t act on it every day. So I have this habit that I’ve been doing for the last call it like year and a half. I have a wall calendar that shows the month name. And then underneath that there’s a bunch of lines. And it’s intended to allow me to write in what my accomplishments or big events were for that month. And what I love about it is can be small things like my husband and I go to a concert and I just wanna remember that we did that. Or it can be big things like getting a promotion or graduating. And it’s kind of fun because I can look back and go, oh that’s right, I did that that month. And what’s fun too about that is that it builds my confidence. And kind of gives me a little boost if I’m feeling like, I haven’t done, you know like ah, work is hard or I haven’t accomplished much. I look back on that calendar, that’s right there in my office at home and I think, wait a second, that’s a lot, I’ve done a lot, this is a great year. I love this. So, it’s a great way to reflect and I also pat myself on the back a little bit.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Two great pieces of advice you know I have never heard of a calendar like that and I really want to get one of those is my effect I want to get one for everyone in this agency because I think that’s a great idea.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah it’s fun. I mean you pick the big things you know that are meaningful.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Sure.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Or the little things that had a lot of emotion to them or something that you want to remember and I think they’re great. I think it’s really great. So now it’s a little silly, it’s 2008, so I had to put Post-it notes over the last years stuff. So I get right in for 2019.

>> Kathy Cunningham: You need a new calendar.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I know.

>> Kathy Cunningham: You’ll have to email me that calendar because I’d love to maybe put that in our resources too so people can go ahead and get that for themselves because I think that’s a great idea.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I think it’s white space. I think we need to start a business.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH] There it is. I know you’re always looking for a side hustle, so there you go. [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yeah, true story.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Can you leave us with maybe some marketing resources that you have Tiffany? Any books or podcasts that you would recommend?

>> Tiffany Stroupe: I really I don’t know if it’s I think it might be marketing. I like the McKinsey app, the McKinsey group. They have a bunch of podcasts and articles and they keeps me connected to the latest information in the industry and trends and I also really like Simon [UNKNOWN]. The Start With Why and The Book and then there’s a bunch of TED talks that kind of surround that whole concept. And they’re great and we’ve been just another little plug for the women at Hyundai. We last year in November, started doing a once a month TED talk lunch. And we would just bring around lunch, and sit down and watch a TED talk or two. And it was really fun, because you know it’s a immediate, sort of instant application of learning to our work life. And Simon has been the front runner for the most TED talk so far.

>> Kathy Cunningham: [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Those two things I would say are McKinsey app, Simon Sinek, and maybe a third one would be just generally TED Talks.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah, TED Talks. Now I’m gonna send you, I don’t know if you heard the TED Talk, I can’t remember the name of the lady who did it. But she did a TED Talk on the Year of Saying Yes. So if you haven’t heard that one [CROSSTALK] I’m gonna send that to you cuz you’re gonna like that one.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yes, I would love that. Thank you.

>> Kathy Cunningham: And the idea of having a TED Talk lunch once a month is fantastic. So lunch and learn and it’s easy and applicable and it gets you energized and we do something similar to that here in the agency, we have a podcast palooza. And every Wednesday we get together and we pick two people from the agency and they share a podcast that they had been listening to, and the lessons that they learned from that and it’s fun. We get a ton out of it. I love doing this.

>> Tiffany Stroupe: So cool. I love it.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Yeah. Well, Tiffany, you’ve been a fantastic guest. Thanks for sharing all your wisdom. And I hope maybe on your white space calendar you’re gonna put a little did a podcast. [LAUGH]

>> Tiffany Stroupe: Yes, absolutely. It’s my first July entry. So thank you for that, Kelly. This is super fun.

>> Kathy Cunningham: Cool. Well, this has been great. I appreciate it and everybody if you want to learn some more about Tiffany, you can go to our website and you can look at our show notes and our references. Thanks everybody. I hope you enjoyed The Showrunner Marketing Podcast.

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sign Up For Our Marketing Minute Tips.

We'll keep you informed about the latest marketing news, trends and developments.

Advanced Marketing Strategies
8910 University Center Lane
Suite 620
San Diego, CA 92122
Phone 858-490-6910
Fax 858-490-6985

Don’t wait! Contact AMS today and get a FREE Brand Assessment!

OR EMAIL DIRECTLY TO:
INFO@AM-STRATEGIES.COM

Back To Top